Friday, April 9, 2010

Time for Your Cleaning

As I have gotten older, I have grown out of the idea that going to the dentist is an excellent day off from school. I used to look forward to choosing my little prize at the end of the visit, either a sticker, pencil or even a bouncing ball. What happened?

Now I seem to dread the days weeks in advance. It's not fun anymore sitting in a chair, crossing my ankles, and holding my hands very tightly together over my chest. While sitting there you are trying not to move at all, trying not cringe when you feel that metal spike scraping against your teeth. Not only that but it never fails that whoever it is that is cleaning your teeth will ask you a question that cannot just be answered with a quick nod or shake of the head. Instead you have to try to answer with their hands in your mouth or quickly when they are in between cleaning instruments. It is incredibly hard to sit there while they are scraping, brushing and flossing your teeth to make sure your tongue is not in the way. What I really struggle with is making sure that my mouth is opened as far as I can while they are poking at my gums and jabbing floss into my skull. It is my instinct to keep my jaw as close to my upper teeth as possible.

Luckily at the end of the cleaning they give you a little gift bag, Thank you so very much, which unfailingly contains a new toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss. What happened to the stickers and bouncing balls? At least my teeth are clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment